Blog Post #1

Welcome back! 

Each week I will take the time to reflect on my journey and post something I learned, challenged me, or helped me understand who I will be as a future educator. The following is my first post from the first two weeks of the course. 

KindPng. (ClipArt image).[https://images.app.goo.gl/ajFtB4iakjsfihcXA].

Considering I have a math teachable, I was excited about this course. What I have come to realize through my experiences learning and teaching mathematics so far, is that being good at math does not mean you can teach it. Thinking back to prior courses I have taken, I can remember when were the learning opportunities and difficult moments. For example, learning what Pi represented by measuring out the diameter three times with string to make up the circumference was something I still remember. I always enjoyed mathematics because I grew up going to a French school and it was the only subject I was able to apply my knowledge in both languages equally. Even when something like long division was done backwards, the knowledge was still there.

In week 1, we learned how students make meaning of the content they are learning, which made me think back to the type of learner I am, and what stuck with me from my own education. Knowing who I am as a learner in turn helps me navigate how to construct that meaning for others, and reminds me of where I come from. I enjoy math, and hopefully I can promote the same for my students, math anxiety is very prevalent and is often originating with the teacher, therefore I want to foster a positive mindset towards mathematics. 

The activities from week 2 really helped solidify my understanding of teaching mathematics. We often think there is a right answer to math problems, but there are many ways to get to that answer. We explored different math processes and built a better understanding of what they looked like. We were then given the opportunity to examine different lesson styles where we were able to distinguish when were suitable scenarios to use each one. Knowing the students learning styles and abilities is key to successfully teach to each student. We can then create lessons that are guided to their needs and create a positive environment to succeed in mathematics.

Susin, Catherine. "Activity 1 Which one did they use". Lecture, Sakai, Sept 7, 2021.


I hope you have an enjoyable week!

Comments