Blog Post #2
Hi! Hope everyone had a lovely week 3 and 4!
Here is what I had to share about my journey.
Math Image from Vecteezy
I am amazed at all the math resources we have navigated in our course already. When I look back on the math classes I had growing up, I remember a lot of worksheets, textbook questions, and tests. The highlight was always when we got to take any sort of manipulative out and have some fun learning math.
It is amazing what one can learn given the appropriate measures and guidance to do so. For example, in class week 3, we were asked to get up and out of our seats to do an activity. We were first intrigued and were able to connect to the Friends Pivot Video and understood the connection to the activity we were going to do. Learning rotations, translations and transformations can be a difficult one. From Chapter 18, we know that students should learn to describe an object's position, plot points and coordinates, as well as construct shapes and manipulate them (Small, 2020). These are all difficult concepts to comprehend, so given the students ways to break down their understanding is essential.
What I like about doing these activities is that we are given the chance to analyze them afterward and determine where they would fit into our lessons. In week 4, we were facilitated the 'working with numbers' activity, which had me thinking where it would be appropriate in the classroom. For example, would a grade 4 be expected to analyze percentages? No, the curriculum states that this does not happen until grade 5. Under the number strand students need to “describe relationships and show equivalences among fractions, decimal numbers up to hundredths, and whole number percents, using appropriate tools and drawings, in various contexts” (MoE, 2020, p.278). As well as knowing that we should focus our teacher two grade levels below but also a level above to reach every student (Susin, week 4). I like that this course is challenging my understanding of how students see the math I am teaching, and ways to help them achieve.
Thanks for stopping by!
Sources
Ministry of Education. (2020). The Ontario Curriculum grades 1-8: Mathematics. https://www.dcp.edu.gov.on.ca/en/curriculum/elementary-mathematics
Small, M. (2020). 4th Edition. Making Math Meaningful to Canadian Students, K-8. 3rd Edition, Toronto, Nelson.
Susin, C. (2021). Strand B: Number Sense [PowerPoint]. Retrieved From https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1waSJjMOfDQ5K7dQqbr6fKnNXffiv2N3o3qeTeEBlG40/edit#slide=id.ge99f3e96a0_0_1796

Comments
Post a Comment